Friday 4 April 2008

Teamwork



On or about the eve of this year, DH and I vowed to make extra effort in our lives, to one another, to our children, in our home and outside the home. Four months in and I feel like our team is winning.

Seriously, what comes to mind when I try to describe this process, is teamwork. Daily I feel I'm on a team with DH. We get through things together. They might be hard, they might be fun, they might be mundane, but together we make it happen. If you read this blog regularily you'll recognize our efforts, the Makeover, the Great Job Search of '08, the Party, and so on.

This is why when we suffer a setback, I feel so ill equipped. When DH and I have an argument I feel like a part of me is severed. For a day or two, emotionally I wander aimlessly missing limb and leg. My sleeve and pantleg blowing in the wind, I calculate frantically the time and place for my, his, reattachment. It comes in time. And with each mend, we are stronger.

Below is locker talk, verbatim, between DH and me. I've used yada-yada in descretion, because I am so not about rehashing. But I am about owning up.

This excerpt, my friends, is why I am VerrySherry.


The moment had come. The tensions had cooled and emotions in check. I am woman, therefore I start communication:

Honey, you know the other night, when you yada-yada-yada? I ask in apprehension.


Yeeessssss. He replys in long drawn breath.


I think that was really inappropriate and made me very upset. You behaved like a ten year old and I don't understand how you can think that is helpful? I was really disappointed that our date night was ruined. Whew. There. I said it all.


I know. I'm sorry. I was in bad form. I should not have yada-yada-yada. I am sorry.
Oh, well done!

Oh honey. Thank you for your apology.

And for teamwork, or because I just don't know when to stop, I say more:

I'm sorry too. I'm sorry that you yada-yada-yada and that it affected our evening.

And he says,

So basically, you just said you're sorry I'm a dick head?

1 comment:

PiecefulChaos said...

I know I'm a little late with this comment but I just had to tell you - I laughed so hard at this this - you made my morning!