Sunday 19 August 2007

Well, I've arrived! With a little help from my friends...

And I'm very happy!
For some time now, I've been wanting to blog, but the name game and blog startup paralyzed me. However, yesterday was the end to that!

In the wee hours of the morning I headed to Dublin airport to meet Cathi and head over to the Birmingham Festival of Quilts. WOW! It was a fabulous day. I met several virtual-now-real people who all share the love of crafts and quilting. One friend is Barbara, who in her truly super shabby*chic style took all of 2 nanoseconds to dream up this very blog name for yours truly. Thank you very much!

And Cathi finished off the task when we took another 2 nanoseconds to create the blog while waiting in the Birmingham airport! And viola...another virtual conception!

All you need are friends! Speaking of which, let's just put a courtesy call out to the other very sherry (note, my url is actually http://verrysherry.com), and before you send me a 'cease and desist order, I'm sure there's room enough for two of us on the internet highway--this mommy will stay in the carpool lane, for better for worse, I promise!

Anyway back to the fun of yesterday. The quilts on show were wonderful--they were just delicious and appealed to my every sense! The ideas, the textiles, the talent, it was all so overwhelming. Photos to come--but it will never do justice!

My head is spinning with all the goodies brought home. Where to start? Which project will keep me most interested, till the next irresistable one lures me in? I'll post a list next to keep me on track and committed--afterall, that was the point of my blog!
My camera is coming up color challenged and the colors it's choosing don't do any of the quilts, or people, justice. Sorry folks! Will work on the visuals for blog as we go!

Seeing how I'm itching to spend time with the girls since being gone all day yesterday and at work all week, I'm tackling the first project with Babydoll--she is a first time back-to-schooler and we plan to sew her a groovy purple backpack. Wish me luck!

Other projects include:
My sewing kit (Birmingham) --lots of ooohhh and awwws had by us all--sorry you other folks will have to wait for pics in next post!
My throw quilt for the sitting room --the fabrics (some Birmingham purchases) are greeny peachy and while, I'm not a fan of the peach tone, the greens are winning me over!
Notice the 'my' theme here? You can blame my selfcenteredness on Cathi and Barbara, they're responsible for this corruption. hehehe
Handquilting on Babydoll's quilt started in 2004--following Cathi's great tutorial on handstitching in Terminal 2 at Birm Airport!
Color Pencil Case from Pink Chalk Studio-too cute to not do.
Baby Quilt 1-blue commissioned
Fall Quilt-Doll Quilt Swap
Baby Quilt 2-pink commissioned
Baby Quilt 3-commissioned
Memory Quilt--for February deadline

So I better be off, need to make a dent in the list.

Nice to meet ya'll!

3 comments:

Cathi said...

Hey! Welcome to the blog world!! Had a great time meeting you yesterday, and happy to help!!

MaggieMay said...

Hello, was lovely to meet you at FoQ. Inspired by you and Cathi I've now set up a blog, but it's early days and it's very basic. But your's is looking good. See you in Birmingham next year
Mags

Jenni said...

Welcome to Blogworld - Cathi sent me over. You'll olve it, and you won't believe how much more productive and inspired you'll become.